Thursday, April 29, 2010

Great trip, without great beer

WOW.....this post has been way overdue. I can not believe that I have lagged this much on the blog. Hopefully there are still some of you out there that remember this blog exists.

I recently returned from a week long trip to Mexico and guess what the first thing I wanted was, even after a week straight of drinking? You guessed it, a craft beer! Luckily last night I was able to enjoy some great homebrewed ipas and a few great bottles from a close 747 Ale House friend, Rob. Needless to say, I was loving life last night. Great beer has become not a necessity, but a need in my life. This brings me to the topic at hand, what makes the beer great? Can a shitty beer seem amazing in the right situation?

During my Mexico vacation there were many beers to be drunken, all of which I would never spend my money on back home (except for on camping trips). The list is a familiar one to many, Coors Light, Tecate, Corona, Dos Equis, you know the "good" stuff. I hope you were able to grasp my sarcasm with the quotations, but in case you didn't, I do not like those beers. With all of that considered, there is something to be said for sitting on a beach, eating a crab taco and having a Corona with 10 friends.

As you get more into beer you will start to despise the beers you used to drink, trust me it will happen. Even though I would never drink a Mickeys 40 again, just thinking about one of those monstrosities brings back lots of good memories. Some goes for any other macro beers. I have been in countless situations where the beer itself does not matter, but the people I am drinking it with and the places where I am matter more. This does not mean that I do not love craft beer, but I can make due without any when the situation is just right.

So, did I not have fun because I was not able to drink the beer that I like, or did the situation and circumstances of the vacation allow me to drink such gross beer? You have probably figured it out by now, but I loved every minute of my trip! In a perfect world every trip, vacation or restaurant I eat at would come fully stocked with craft beer. Unfortunately this is hardly the case. Just remember, sometimes the beer is not the only thing memorable. The people you are with can turn something terrible into something you will remember for a long time. Now back to reality, and back to amazing craft beer.

Cheers

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had a rad time on your trip!!!

    I love that last sentiment... the ppl not the beer<3

    ReplyDelete